A person may request sex offender information by going to his/her local city or town police station. After presenting proper identification, the requester must fill out a sex offender request form containing:
1. The name and address of the requester.
2. Information may be requested in the following manners:
1. Inquire whether a specifically named individual or a person described by sufficient identifying information to allow the police to identify the individual is a sex offender; or
2. The requester may inquire whether any sex offenders live, works or attends an institution of higher learning within the same city or town of a specific address, including, but not limited to, a residential address, business address, school, after school program, day care center, playground, recreational area or other identified address; or
3. The requester may inquire whether any sex offenders live, works or attends an institution of higher learning at a specific street address within the city or town where the person is requesting sex offender information; or
4. Where the police department is located in a city or town with more than one zip code area, the inquiry may ask whether any sex offenders live or work within a specified zip code. In Boston such inquiry may be made by specified police district.
3. The reason for the request.
4. The date and time of the request.
If the request results in the identification of a sex offender, the police will distribute the offender’s name, home address, work address, the name and address of the institution of higher learning where the sex offender works or is enrolled as a student, age, sex, height, weight, eye and hair color, the sex offenses committed and the dates of conviction and/or adjudication and a photo of the offender, if available.
The information will be provided free of charge.
All information provided to the public will include language prohibiting the misuse of sex offender information for harassment or discriminatory purposes.
All records of inquiry will be kept confidential, except to assist or defend in a criminal prosecution.
The police will not release information identifying the victim by name, address or relation to the offender.
To check if an individual is a level 3 sex offender click here