I no longer have this vehicle. Do I still have to pay the bill?

If an excise bill is received for a vehicle or trailer which has been sold, traded, donated or junked, it is the registrant’s responsibility to inform the towns Assessors Office and supply them with all necessary information. Our advice is to pay the bill first then look into the appropriate adjustment with the Assessors Office. See Motor Vehicle Excise and Abatements page.

It is important that the bill for the vehicle that is no longer owned, not be ignored. The collection process will not cease until the proper paperwork has been filed with the Assessors Office.

Show All Answers

1. Why am I receiving a Excise bill?
2. Who compiles the bill?
3. How is my vehicle's value calculated?
4. My vehicles valuation is too high or too low. Who do I contact?
5. How is my bill computed?
6. I just received and paid a bill. Why am I receiving another?
7. I no longer have this vehicle. Do I still have to pay the bill?
8. When are Excise Bills mailed out?
9. I should have received an Excise Bill. Why have I not received one?
10. Why am I being billed from a different town than I live in?
11. Can I make a partial payment towards my excise bill?
12. Why am I receiving another tax bill for my new car? When I registered my new car at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, I paid a tax. Am I paying twice?